With the release of the new iPhone/iPod Touch firmware version 3.1.2, requests for a stable, working jailbreak have sprung up like wildfire all over the internet. Geohot, the brains behind PurpleRa1n, has an answer. Already. Enter Blackra1n, a quick, clean, and painless method to jailbreak (NOT UNLOCK) your iPhone or iPod Touch. The iPhone DevTeam promises to have a version of QuickPwn running as soon as possible, but has been unable to produce anything yet. Here’s a quick little tutorial on how to get your device jailbroken and working as soon as possible. Have any issues? Post a comment!
Warning! Read carefully to avoid bricking your device!
If you have an iPhone 3G or 3GS, and currently unlock your device, do NOT upgrade to 3.1, 3.1.1 or 3.1.2 as it will remove your baseband unlock! Basebands can NOT be downgraded. Additionally, this jailbreak is tethered for the “3G” (new) iPod touches (size 32GB and 64GB). There is no jailbreak for the 8GB iPod Touch 3G.
Tutorial, in plain and simple English.
1. Make sure you are on an OFFICIAL Apple stock 3.1, 3.1.1 or 3.1.2 firmware. (Get it here)
3. Start iTunes, and make sure your device is detected. If you don’t have the latest version of iTunes, get it here. (I got it working on version 9.0.1)
4. Run BlackRa1n (blackra1n.exe), and click “Make It Ra1n.”
5. You will see an “Entering Recovery” message, and your iPod/iPhone will display the BlackRa1n logo. Wait a few minutes; your device will reboot automatically.
6. On your device, run the “blackra1n” app and choose either Cydia ,Icy, or Rock(I personally just use Cydia; its more stable, and you can install the other two through it. And no, I’ve never tried “Rock”).
7. Kick back, relax, and watch the fireworks.