For those of you who have jailbroken their iPhone 4’s with the fatastic jailbreakme.com jailbreak, it is very, very easy to use FaceTime over the 3G network. That’s right; you can now make video calls to any iPhone from anywhere with 3G reception (mustn’t… bash… AT&T… coverage…).
It’s really easy. Just follow these few short steps.
- Jailbreak your iPhone 4. It takes like 5 minutes and you don’t need a computer.
- Open Cydia and install all updates. This fixes an issue with FaceTime and MMS that the jailbreak caused.
- In Cydia, click on the “Manage” tab, tap “Sources,” tap “Edit,” and add the source “http://apt.modmyi.com/”
- Refresh your sources, and then look for the “My3G” app. Install it.
- Go through the Rock setup process, including making a username and password for yourself. Run the app, and leave all your settings at default.
- Now, disconnect from any wifi networks (i.e. forget any networks nearby or turn off wifi) or go somewhere without wifi reception, and then make a FaceTime call. That’s it!