Alright, some definite stuff has, in fact, been released! We have a jailbreak WITH 4.0 features for both the iPhone 3G and 3GS, and the iPod Touch 2G.
First of all, there is a fantastic jailbreak released by those lovely blokes over at the iPhone Dev-Team. It’s really easy. But it ONLY works on iPhone 3G/3GS and the 2G iPod Touch (not 3G). For now.
- Download the 4.0 firmware for your device from FelixBruns.de (scroll down to the iOS 4.0 bit)
- Download Redsn0w for Mac (x86) or PC.
- Select any options you’d like. This is where you can enable wallpapers, multitasking, set custom boot logos, etc. EVEN if you don’t have a 3GS. Isn’t that dandy?
- Plug in your iDevice, and THEN shut it off.
- Hit “next” in Redsn0w, and watch the fireworks.
If you’re a bit more adventurous and don’t like making things easy, you can enable all the 4.0 features the manual way. I wouldn’t recommend it unless you really know what you’re doing.
- Jailbreak your device.
- In Cydia, search for “OpenSSH” and install it.
- Get an FTP client (I like WinSCP for PC)
- On your device, go to settings, make sure you’re connected to a network, and click the (>) button next to the network’s name to open network details.
- Find your device’s IP address. (It will be something like 192.168.1.2 or something along those lines).
- In your FTP client, enter that IP as the server address, enter “root” as the username, and enter “alpine” as the password.
- Navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/N82AP.plist and copy the file over to your computer.
- Using TextEdit on Mac or Notepad in PC, open the N82AP.plist file
- Change the file so that the following line appears in the file (if it already exists, replace it):
- Find “Multitasking” and make sure it is set to “TRUE” as well.
- Copy the file back to your iDevice.
That’s it! I don’t even know why you’d do the second set of instructions, but I guess if you’re bored, and it’s raining (It’s ALWAYS raining in my city) then you can spend time screwing up your iPhone.